Monday, February 18, 2008

Cambodia!!!! Fantastic

Every day here Trumps the one before it, when I woke up today after only one hour of sleep and realizing we had to travel 12 hours to ankor wat, cambodia by train, bus, taxi, and tut tut I was not excited. To my amazement I did not sleep on any leg of our journey the train from bangkok to the cambodian boarder cost us about 1.15$ which blew my mind for a 6 hour train ride. when we hit the boarder we were thrown into some crazy boarder games with scamers and currupt boarder officials, which turned out to be fun with little loss. As we actually walked into cambodia we were hit with a huge shock. The road turned to a bombed out dirt/paved road and we got swarmed by taxi drivers pulling us to there cars to ride the next three hours with them. we finally found one in our price range and jumped into his severly beat up 87 toyota. the ride to Ankor wat was unbelievable, I felt as if we were in an enduro rally care race. our highly skilled cambodian taxi driver cruzed through the country side weaving aroud busses, trucks, scooters, children, dogs, bulls, and any thing else that was running the road every secound of this three hour ride had my eyes glued on the sides of the road anticipating what amazing national geographic moment that I would see next. The poverty in this country is very wide spread and at times hard to swallow, but this culture is so differant and amazing. Any words I use are so inadequite at explaining the things we are experiancing. so many times we all look at each other and say " holly hell how is this all happening, this is so amazing" I find my self with chills more often then not. When we arrived we searched town for a place to eat and as we wer walking a street a two year old girl ran to me and grabed my had and pulled me to here familys curb side restuarant. I have never seen a cuter kid in my life Greg got a picture of us i hope to be able to add it soon. we will tour the world famous Ankor wat tommorrow, which I'm so gratiful to do as were mearly passing through, to see such amazing places by chance truley is such a great thing. The people of cambodia are happy great people who have only treated use with the greatest hospitality and respect. I'm overwhelmed every day I spend here!!!!!

1 comment:

Elias said...

awesome blog hermino. my parent-in-laws are going to cambodia on a mission in a couple of months. r. elias adams