Thursday, February 21, 2008

Traveling through Cambodia

we've really been on the move since we left Bangkok. Ankgor Wat wa such an amazing place to go we walked around ruins over a thousand years old, if ever in cambodia or near by I recomend making this apart of your trip. each temple that we saw that day were so unique for being so close to eachother. After leaving Ankor wat we traveld by bus six hours to the Capitol Phenom penh, I was really suprised to see so much french influence in the buildings It's quite a unique city, the video on the page below is of me riding a scooter taxi through the city, and that was even one of the calmest streets in this city. We came here to the capitol primarily to get our Laos visas. Which took longer then we expected so we had to spend an extra day here, This day has turned out to be pretty important to really understanding Cambodia for me. We toured the killing grounds of the Khamer Rouge and a school that was converted into a prison during the Genocide that took place here in the 70's. I was amazed at how little I knew about these mass killings that took place in this amazing country to these very polite and simple people. I found my self asking " Where's the justice? Who paid for this? but I find no compensation for the lives lost." IT was a very complex situation I'm sure but it left me sad to think that humanity can fall so fast to killing and to think that it's still occuring today in other countrys. I hope to find more awensers as to why the world consistantley does this to each other.
Cambodia may be in a hard spot these days trying to recover from there hardships, however the people here are amazing so happy to see us and talk. were a pretty rag tag group of travelers but a benefite of that is that the locals feel they can talk to us which I love. We get laughed at alot and probably made fun of more then not, but making people laugh is pretty fun most of the time.
tommorrow we'll take of to laos which will probably take a about three days to make it to the boarder from which we will start our "Amazing Race" to the north of Laos. the route to the north is choped up into like 8 different sections by bus, so we've been reading up and discovered that hitch hiking is more then possible. So we'll split up into twos and race to the north, we anticipate it taking a couple of days to get up there and a lot of random rides. I'm sper stoked for this part of our journey for I'm feeling to much like a tourist riding around with all these old folks on tour busses.(mom if your reading this calm down we'll be safe I PROMISE!!) well I'm off to eat some more amazing food,.........ILOVE RICE!!!!!!!

No comments: