Wednesday, March 12, 2008

Meditation for the mind

We just finished a two day meditation retreat hosted by buddist monks, We were transported to a retreat in the country with about 25 foreigners. the retreat was free and was hosted by the MCU university in Chiang mi. It was a free retreat, all inclusive to be exact with great accommodation's and some great instructors. we learned several different techniques of meditation and really enjoyed our time there. I immediately felt relaxed and happy to be there even though I had a few hesitations before arriving. We were all dressed in white and kinda was waiting for them to serve us up some special punch and pass out the nikes, but it turned out to be a great retreat. Meditation is a huge part of buddist and monk traditions of clearing the mind and focusing on the present and being happy with where we are. I can see why this is apart of there lives. I've been a little infatuated with monks since we've got here, You'll see them everywhere here in southeast Asia. At first I was a little scared to talk to monks be cause the seem so serious and mystical. they are so calm and quiet all the time. I've come to learn that they are amazing people who in my mind have really grasped on to finding peace in there daily life's. I respect them fully in there pursuit for finding themselves, and there dedication to the society here. Our days here in chiang mi have really opened my eyes to the great culture of Thailand.
It is sad to be leaving Chaing mi tomorrow especially for Greg who has fallen madly in love with every girl in this city, and for T who has been working on a 12c climb. Our fingers are crossed that he got it today so we don't have to see a grown man cry.
If anyone has any questions regarding expenses, lodging or are planning a trip to this region feel free to ask we've been lots of places and have been trying to find the best, cheapest and everything in between in our travels, so feel free to ask I'd love to be of some help. My next blog I plan on writing some more traveling tips and facts about the region and I'd love to have some input. take luck,....and care!!!

2 comments:

Elias said...

I love reading your blog. you remember how i had a *facination* with Asians as well...don't worry I didn't marry one!!

Unknown said...

Hi,

You've a really good blog. To turn into a prosperous person the standard issue would be to have positive thinking.