Sunday, March 2, 2008

Vangviene

today's supposedly our rest day, our slow day. we've been everywhere in this crazy little town for the past 5 days we've been living in a Laos paradise. we call it our "Adventure base camp to Laos" We've spent hours discovering villages searching for caves and swimming holes, T and Shawny have climbed every minute we've been here. This town is addictive, keeping people here for weeks and even months longer then expected. I feel a horrible pit in my stomach thinking that the day will soon come when we as well will have to leave this town. It's the Hub of backpackers here in Laos and for good reason. the streets are lined with every restaurant and bar you could ever want, and the sky line with shear cliff mountains for miles in every direction. It's colder here at night, we've even had to pull out hoodies a few nights. We haven't stopped for even a second since we've arrived here in Vangviene. Vangviene being the mecca for backpackers I've met so many amazingly fun people here, I met a Dutch girl who I instantly fell for. I spent some great days with her but we'll be parting in different directions which is how this traveling circus out here works I suppose. I keep running into friends from other sections of our trip which is quiet fun. We have a friend who was coming out to meet us on the 16 of this month and I received an email that he decided to come early on a whim and now he's in Bangkok, apparently he's already got a date with a pretty girl on Friday night so he will meet us in a weeks time in Chang mi. p.s. It's Aaron and I really can't wait to be hanging out with him in Thailand. seeing how its our slow day I'm going to find some time to put up some pictures as well. I had someone tell me before I left on this trip that I would come out here and then come back home and everything would still be the same in my life. that traveling or "running away" for awhile wouldn't change a thing. I beg to differ, no no I will differ. This trip this experience will in fact change the way I see and feel about the whole world, my whole world. I was walking through a village yesterday with no running water, no electricity watching children play with there sticks. watching mothers cook over a camp fire and old men sitting around talking of who knows what the weather, the rice fields, there 300 pound pig, who knows, but the point is, How can that not change how I live, how I perceive this world and even my existence in it. More then loving this place and more then having endless nights, and crazy adventurous days, I will never forget how small we really are and how huge we really can be!

3 comments:

The Miner's said...

What is the time difference there from Utah and are you going to bring the Dutch girl home with you???

David said...

I wish!!!! um were 14 hours ahead of utah

Deanna said...

Even just going to Mexico to help orphans (a mere 12 hours from us) there is such a difference in the life we live here in America. We're lucky...that's for sure. Travel on.